Assistant Commissioner Alan Clarke said an additional 300 officers will be on CBD streets and will monitor other potential flashpoints.
“They are there in anticipation we’ll be able to respond to any repeat of last week’s violence,” he said.
“However, I do stress that at this point in time we are not expecting that.”
Police and intelligence agencies are monitoring social media websites for signs of unrest and tip-offs regarding the organisation of further demonstrations.
Reports on Friday suggested that US authorities have warned their citizens in Sydney to stay away from Martin Place, the site of the US consulate, and other CBD locations this weekend.
But Mr Clarke said people of all nationalities should be safe.
“We believe the business district will be a safe place to be on the weekend. We encourage the community to get out and enjoy it,” he added.
“If we become aware of information that puts them at risk we’ll certainly advise them.”
He said existing talk about further demonstrations on social media websites was “not gaining momentum”.
Mr Clarke revealed that a further charge will be laid against former champion boxer Ahmed Elomar, who is alleged to have taken part in Saturday’s riots.
Elomar, 29, was arrested and charged with affray on Saturday as about 200 members of the city’s Islamic community clashed with police.
The former super featherweight fighter is now due to be charged with using a flag pole to hit a police officer during the riots, causing a gaping head wound.
The new charge comes after a 19-year-old man was arrested at a home in Belfield, in the city’s west on Thursday night and charged with affray and throwing a bottle at police during the riots.
The Belfield man, who is the ninth adult to be charged over the violence, is due to appear in court next month.
“The allegation is that he obtained a bottle from someone else in the crowd and threw that bottle at the police … and he then retreated into the crowd,” Supt Walton told reporters.
“The allegation against the second man (Elomar) is that he’s used a flag or a pole with a flag and that was used to strike one of our public order riot squad officers who suffered an open head injury.”
Police Minister Michael Gallacher confirmed the American Consulate had warned US citizens in Australia of possible protests over the weekend but said it was the right thing to do.
“I spoke to the Consul General yesterday afternoon and actually congratulated him on this decision he’s taken,” Mr Gallacher said on Friday.
“It’s a precautionary measure to at least alert members of the American community that are here that may not have seen what’s happening.”
He said the US had “a responsibility to make sure their people don’t unwittingly put themselves in a situation, should a situation occur”.
Mr Gallacher said he was confident common sense was prevailing.
“You talk to the police and you talk to the leaders from our community, and they’re confident that common sense is getting through, calm is getting through, moderation is getting through,” he said.
However, people needed to be “aware of their surroundings” when out and about this weekend.
A reported text message from white-pride groups calling for retaliation was a case of trolling, he said.